We had a wonderful summer.
I’m so sad to send the kids to school today! I am going to miss hanging out with them so much! I think I only sewed twice this summer. Yikes! But I’m okay with that because we had a lot of other summer fun.
I always feel like summer goes by so fast & I don’t make a real effort to make awesome summer memories with my kids. When school starts I usually regret not trying harder. But this year has been different. We made an effort to have fun together daily, not just on our vacations. At the beginning of summer we made a list of things we wanted to be sure to do. We didn’t get to them all but we did A LOT more this summer than we usually do.
Here’s some of what we did:
- found a park with awesome bike trails
- went camping in the Boundary Waters
- summer reading program at the library
- spent time at the pool & beach
- had water fights
- ran through the sprinkler
- camped in our backyard
- played kickball
- went to the movies & ate so much popcorn we almost puked
- made homemade play-dough
- discovered shapes in the clouds
- went tubing
- played lots of Legos
- made s’mores
- had a picnic
- played Monopoly, Uno, Crazy 8′s, Yahtzee, & Battleship
- spent time up north with cousins
- read like crazy
- looked for shooting stars
- camped on the north shore
- fought the waves of Lake Superior
- went hiking
- saw the lift bridge in action
- got LOTS of exercise at karate.
Today my kids go off to 1st & 5th grades! I can’t even imagine how they can be that old already! This will be a challenging year for me, because this is the first time in 10 years that I don’t really have a reason to be home during the day. My kids will be off, doing their own thing, not really needing me. I mean, yes, they need me & always will, but I’m serving no purpose all day long while they are at school. I’m hoping I get on a great schedule & get lots accomplished. I should have time, for the first time in a long time, to get all my not so fun tasks done, along with my fun things too! I’m looking forward to it, but hoping I don’t end up feeling like a waste of space… I have some thoughts in my head about what else I could do, but for now, I’m not making any big decisions.
So, farewell Summer! You’ve treated us well, I look forward to you visiting us again!